Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Valentine's Day 2011

This year, because we were moving and unpacking during much of February, I felt much like the Grinch when he says, "It came without ribbons! It came without tags!  It came without packages, boxes, or bags!"  I LOVE holidays, and it killed me that this one came and went without any fanfare.  I did make a Valentine's dinner on the actual day, but everybody was so cranky and yelling at everybody; it was HORRIBLE.  We put all the kids to bed and wondered, where's the love?  So, after unpacking all last week, I decided that I couldn't let the holiday pass us by without expressing my love for my kids and husband.  So we celebrated Love Day all week long.

This was Irelynd's Valentine's box for her class party.  She thought she was going to be extra loved when she picked this very LARGE box! 

Savannah celebrated her last Valentine's class party this year.  I'm so sad to think she's moving out of elementary school and in with the "big kids"!  No more holiday parties. 
She designed this cute mailbox for her Valentines, and Scott made it for her.  I was pretty impressed.

She had big design plans for it, but didn't get it done in time.  I thought it turned out so cute anyway!  I was lucky and got to help with Savannah's class party that day, which I LOVE to be involved with.  We played a game called Who's my Valentine?  I read love notes written by fictional males to their fictional loves, and they had to guess who wrote it, and to whom.  I thought it was fun, and interesting to see which ones they knew and which ones they didn't.  No one could get Superman's love interest, not even the boys.  Only Savannah got Edward and Bella without any extra clues.  I guess Mother and daughter think alike, huh?  Here's an example.  See if you can guess, and look for the answer at the end!

 Dear Valentine,


I have secretly admired you since we were kids and next-door neighbors. I have wanted to tell you so many times that you are more than just a friend, but I’m shy and kind of nerdy, and you are an outgoing redhead. Please be mine and we can “hang” out together.

Love,

__________?

PS, how do you feel about spiders?

 
We started our week with a heart and pink breakfast of heart-shaped French toast with pink butter and pink buttermilk syrup, lil smokies, pink milk, and fruit salad.




For dinner we had heart-shaped pizza, and I made these jello parfait cups that I saw online somewhere, but couldn't find the link again.  I painted a chocolate heart on a clear cup, then layered strawberry jello and whipped jello and cool whip mix.  I thought they were so cute!


We celebrated with some Martinelli's too, since we made it through the last 3 stressful months and no one died!  Amazing! 
For dessert, we had strawberry mousse-filled cream puffs.  The kids weren't a big fan of the cream puff part.

Celebrating a holiday late wasn't that bad an idea.  Everything was on clearance, like these light-up mailboxes from Walmart for only .87, plus a lot of the stuff I put in them.  Score!  I wish I could have recorded Waverly's reaction to her Tinkerbelle mailbox.  It was so funny.  I love how little things make little kids happy.  The kids put their mailboxes out to be filled every night.  I guess I must have mentioned that Cupid will come fill them, because Brighton kept wanting to know all about this little winged cherub.  Someone described him as a chubby fairy in a diaper; Brighton had this perplexed expression on his face, while he tried to imagine it, I suppose.  I won't do this overnight again though;  a few mornings, the little ones were up before 7am so they could claim their prizes.  But it was fun to see their anticipation every night.

These gum cards were only .25 on clearance. 
I found the idea for these heart-shaped boxes on http://rootsandwingsco.blogspot.com/.  They have lots of fun holiday ideas.  These boxes are made from toilet paper rolls.  They were too much work for kids though.  I'd suggest them for only adults, or someone that will appreciate the amount of work put into them, and will treasure them for the rest of their lives.  I filled them with candy. 


Another day I made rice crispy kisses, using cocoa marshmallows and cupcake Pebbles cereal.  They were very yummy!


The answer to the riddle is Spiderman and MJ (Mary Jane).  Nobody was able to get that one without hints, so if you got it, go get yourself a treat!

1 comment:

Janessa said...

I've decided that I want to be a kid again and you can be my mom. I promise I will even appreciate the cute little heart boxed filled with treats. I would totally use an excuse like "a move" to get out of all the elaborate holiday stuff. Not Jill. You are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!! That's fun that you got to help with Savannah's last v-day party. That is such a cute game too. I will have to remember that one. I might be asking you for it next year, so don't throw it away:)