The preschool age can be so exasperating and exhausting, but don't they just say the funniest things? Most of these came from Brighton, but Irelynd still cracks me up, too.
Brighton, one morning while playing with his blue blanket: "My blankie is on the virgin of being swinged."
Brighton, while asking for some more gnocchi soup: "Mom, can I please have some more Pinnochio soup?"
Irelynd, while doodling on some paper one afternoon: "I'm addicted to drawing myself in a wedding dress!" (uh, oh)
Brighton, one night while watching racing on tv with Scott before bed: "oooh, speedy cars! Oh, yeah!"
Irelynd, while shopping at the dollar store with me: "I just can't live another day without a magnifying glass!"
Brighton, telling on his sister: "Mom, Irelynd eventually didn't flush the toilet again today." (um, do you mean evidently?)
All 3 little ones, since watching Night at the Museum on family night: "hey, dum dum, you give me gum gum" (argh, it was cute the first 20 times, but after a month of it, not so much.)
And the last one I hate to include because it incriminates me, but it cracked me up and diffused a stressful moment at the time. I was packing up our house and under so much stress to be out on time. Keaton is a notorious mess-maker and dumper. One morning he made mess after mess after mess, and I'd had it. I said, more to myself than him, "Keaton, I'm going to beat you if you keep this up!" Horrible, I know, and I hate to put it out there in print for my kids to read one day and remember how mean their mother was, but there it is. After saying it I continued on with cleaning up whatever it was that he spilled on the floor; I don't remember now. Keaton, sensing the danger, scuttled out of the room. A few minutes later I hear him wailing in the other room and look up to see Brighton coming back into the room. He says, while rubbing his hands together in a "I've completed that chore" attitude, "Well Mom, Keaton's beat." Apparently Brighton took it upon himself to help me out and beat Keaton himself. Yikes! At least there was no permanent damage done. Since this episode, I'd like to say I've completely learned my lesson and don't say things in the heat of the moment anymore, but that'd be a lie. However, this is a lesson I won't likely forget and has made me think twice about what garbage comes out of my mouth when I'm angry, and how literal my children take me.
4 comments:
Tee, hee... My kids won't need it in print to remember it. I think it's imprinted on their brains.
Is it "legal" to have your 4-year old be your "hit man"? haha
Ha, ha, ha! Those are all so cute! We've heard that Night at the Museum line way too many times around here too. The beating story cracks me up. I'll have to watch what I say too. You never know.
LMAO. I can just visualize Brighton as your personal bouncer.
If it makes you feel better, make this your new mantra: "they may not always remember what I say, but they will always remember how I made them feel". (Good piece of advice Uncle Richard gave me when I was teaching seminary, it's applicable in any teaching situation, even being a mom).
No doubt your kids feel loved and valuable, even when you are thinking about (b)eating them. This blog proves that, they will know that the whole world (as you know it) is reading this,and by how much you do to enrich their lives. Your commitment is a testament how much you love the little rascals.
My advice: In the car, Don't criticize other drivers for being a moron or a stupid driver; just be calm, bite your comment. Your kids will be better drivers.
Post a Comment