Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Eggnog Mousse from Family Circle

I found a recipe for eggnog mousse recently, so Brighton and I made some for FHE last week.  It was very good, but very rich, so enjoy in moderation.  I'll share the recipe with you.
Eggnog Mousse
4 eggs, separated
1/2 c plus 2 Tb sugar
1 c heavy cream
1/4 c butter, cut up
2 Tb dark rum
2 Tb brandy
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
In a large metal bowl, combine yolks, 1/4 c each of sugar, cream, and butter.  Place bowl in saucepan of simmering water.  Cook, stirring constantly, until temp reaches 160 degrees, or about 4-7 minutes.  Remove bowl from pan.
Beat remaining 3/4 c cream with 1/4 c sugar, spices, liquor, and vanilla (I omitted the brandy, and substituted 1 tsp rum extract for the rum.  It was a little strong; maybe start with 1/2 tsp and add more as desired.) until stiff peaks form.  FOld into egg yolk mixture.
Beat egg whites until frothy.  Gradually beat in remaining 2 Tb sugar and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.  Fold 1/4 of the whites into egg yolk mixture.  Fold in remaining whites.  Refrigerate, covered, until mixture just begins to mound when spooned, 1 1/2 hours (it took only 30 minutes to reach this point for me).  Spoon into 6 glasses, cover and refrigerate at least one hour.  Garnish with additional nutmeg.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Janessa said...

Oh my yumminess. You are going to give Martha Stewart a run for her money. Ricky (okay all of us) are such big egg nog fans. I will definitely have to try this one!