Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Making gourmet apples

Pardon me while I bore you with all our Halloween/fall traditions, but this is another one. I had my eyes opened to the magic that is gourmet caramel apples when I had my first bite of one from The Chocolate Factory in Park City. You know the apple pie one? Yumm! I had to try making them at home. I have a great caramel recipe that I found while working in the library at church a few years ago. See, the Lord does bless us when we serve faithfully!

So here's the scoop on making homemade gourmet candy apples, Jill-style. First you start with popsicle-speared apples. The crunchier the better. Biting into a soggy apple is just not a good experience, no matter how many layers of caramel and chocolate you give it.

Then you dip it in caramel, then chocolate, then your choice of toppings. I've tried many, but my favorite is still white chocolate and cinnamon sugar. Yummo!

Savannah's creation was white chocolate and butterfinger.

I believe Irelynd went with milk chocolate and oreos. Sounds good, but the flavors don't mesh well. Not sure what it is... I'm just biased, I think.

1 comment:

Janessa said...

That sounds so good! I want to hear more about the sucessful combinations. What a fun family cooking project. We'll have to try it sometime.