Sunday, January 17, 2010

Family traditions

A tradition we started doing in Scott's family is our hayride and soup night. All his family gathers together to see the Christmas lights festival in town and then everybody comes to our house for soup and hot chocolate. Thanks to his younger brother, we all ride on the back of his trailer on hay bales, pulled by Grandpa, while we sing carols. This year we thumped our way through the park with a flat tire, but it didn't dampen our spirits. I wish I'd gotten pictures of everyone on the trailer, but once we're snuggled in together, there's no moving. I did, however, get photos of dinner afterward. I know, easy to tell where my priorities, are, isn't it?

Every family brings a crockpot of soup to share, and we provide bread, cookies, and hot chocolate. It's fun to see what soups show up. I always get a few new recipes every year. Sallie's harvest squash and sausage soup is one of my favorites!
This year I did a hot chocolate bar, with recipes and fixins for all sorts of variations. I've never tried egg nog in hot chocolate before, but it was yummy! But, really, when is egg nog not good?

To my knowledge, I don't think anyone was brave enough to try the Mexican hot chocolate with chili powder.




This has been a fun tradition, and one my kids look forward to. I love having family close by. What a blessing for our kids to grow up with their cousins and grandparents.

4 comments:

Sal-my-gal said...

I love this tradition too! I need your potato soup recipe. It was divine!

Teresa said...

Very fun. I so would have tried the Mexican hot chocolate. Mmm, spicy!

M_Hop said...

Do you supply your ideas to Family Fun? They would love you! Send in some of this cool stuff, show other families in America how traditions cement families in love and closeness. Awesome post, and yes, your kids are so lucky to have some much family near.

Janessa said...

Can I be in your family? You guys always do the funnest stuff and you make everything look so fancy! I am so jealous that you have so much extended family so close by. Your kids are very lucky. I'm glad you appreciate it and take advantage of it.