Thursday, August 27, 2009
Q=quilting
I grew up tying quilts with my mom. I have very fond memories of being very young, and playing under a quilt-in-process, while my mom and older sisters sat around it and chatted while they tied it. Even Scott learned to tie quilts during the time in our early marriage when we lived with my parents for a few months! So, of course, I wanted to teach my girls the joys of tying quilts with the female folk. I see it as a rite of passage, and was excited to introduce them to it. I had envisioned how they'd just think it was so cool, and love to cut the yarn and tie the ends into tidy little knots. I even explained to them how it was going to the Women's Crisis Shelter and would be given to a sad little boy or girl who has to hide from their abusive father. My mental image was straight out of the Ensign, I must admit. As real life goes, it didn't happen that way. Savannah whined about how boring it was while Irelynd complained that she didn't want to tie the knots, just cut the yarn. And in the background Brighton destroyed Grandma's house (see him in the living room above? He's scouting out the premises.)
She's trained well enough to smile on demand. Looks like she's having a great time, though, doesn't it? She did...for the first 5.6 seconds!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good for you! They look like they're having a great time. When I was younger my mom tried to get me to love quilting but didn't have much sucess. As an adult I'm totally regretting that I didn't take advantage of the free quilting lessons and am trying to figure it out the best I can. If they don't appreciate it now, they just may someday as a mom. You can sleep well knowing you did your motherly duties.
Post a Comment