Thursday, August 27, 2009

K=Kennecott

As we were nearing the end of the summer, I realized we still had letters to do. So we crammed them all into one busy week before school started (I am a recovering perfectionist I just couldn't leave it with only 4 more to go!). This day we ventured up to Kennecott Copper Mine in SE Salt Lake county. We had gone before 5 years ago, on the way home from Primary Children's Hospital after Savannah was released from her first round of chemo. Wow, how time goes by! The girls still found it interesting. The favorite part was inspecting the huge tire behind us and looking through the view finder at the mine below the visitor's center. By the way, for anyone who hasn't been up to see this, the tire below weighs over 10,000 lbs, and costs $25,000 each. They only last one year, and each big truck takes 6 of them. Do the math on that one! WOW!




1 comment:

Janessa said...

So, did you finish the alphabet? The mine looks like a neat place to go. I have some memories of going when I was a kid. I'll bet my kids would love going there. I can't believe how expensive those tires are! Wow!