Friday, May 8, 2009

Springtime at Thanksgiving Point


For April's playdate with Grandma, we all went to the Tulip Festival at TP, Brighton and babies included. You'll have to forgive me, but I just LOVE taking pictures; it makes me happy. So when I see something of beauty, I can't help myself; and, well, it's a good thing digital cameras were invented. So, please skim through my gazillion photos here. When choosing a few to put in, I couldn't limit it to just a few and threw in all my favorites. The Tulip Festival throws together all my favorite things: photography, my children, and tulips. (Ice cream was supposed to be on the list, too, but it was too cold that day!)



One of my favorite scriptures comes from D&C 59:18. It is posted at the beginning of the path down to the gardens, as you leave the Visitor's Center. It says, "Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart." This reminds me of how loved we are, that Heavenly Father would create a world for us to live in, but also to make it beautiful and splendid and breath-taking, just "to please [our] eye and to gladden [our] heart." How amazing is that?













The girls found this family of ducks on the side of the pond in Monet's Garden and we watched them as they made their way into the water and swam away with the babies following. Isn't springtime amazing?



This was heading into The Secret Garden, which is, again, my favorite part of the gardens. They've done it in such a way that I can almost imagine I am Mary, happening on a forgotten (but in this case, well-tended) secret garden, in which you can feel that there are hidden things to be discovered within. Most of my 5,269 pictures (ok, I'm exaggerating a bit) were taken here.



We stopped in at the Children's Discovery Garden for a short 10 minutes (I told you it was cold!), and on our way out, I spied this little clump of wisteria (I'm guessing) clinging to a wall. It was the only bloom on the vine, but it was determined to bloom and beautify nonetheless. There are at least a dozen spiritual parallels you could draw from this.





Irelynd loves beauty as much as I do, apparently. She insisted on stopping to examine and smell the tulips often on our walk, long after Savannah lost interest.


In case you're wondering, those are Savannah's knees showing above the flowers. She got exasperated with Irelynd's refusal to cooperate with her posing suggestions, and I thought we were going to lose her...

3 of my favorite people...







I just love this picture. The vibrant colors of the tulips and daffodils, and the soft spring light made for a nice setting.
Brighton wanted to "go in there" and ride the carousel.


Savannah, after climbing the hill in front and rolling down multiple times. It was a steep climb back up.


3 comments:

Davis and Carter's Mommy said...

Great pics, I love the gardens!
Heidi, UVMOM

Sal-my-gal said...

You got some good pics!

Janessa said...

I'm do glad you didn't post any less pictures. They are so beautiful and every last one of them is worth sharing. You are a great photographer and did a wonderful job capturing the colors and beauty of the gardens. Your kids are too cute. Again, great pictures!!!