Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Kindy 500 x 2

 One year ago, when Brighton did the Kindy 500, we were not sure where we would be living, and if the twins would be able to participate in the Kindy 500.  Luckily (at least in this situation), we are still in the same school, and they got to participate.  I let them choose their own cars to make.  Keaton originally wanted Mater, but I swayed him a little, since I could not get excited about making Mater again (I already made him for Brighton's Cars party a few years ago, and I hate repeating things I've already done.)  He was excited about making Dusty from Planes instead, and I was excited to attempt an airplane.  I cut the pieces out, and Keaton helped paint them one Sunday after church.  It was a lot of work, but I loved how he turned out!
 Waverly's was a bit more intense, technical, and involved.  I had to get Scott involved to make the racecar that she wanted.  She originally wanted Penelope's car from Wreck-it Ralph, but changed her mind and wanted Taffyta's car instead, because it was all pink.  Thank heavens for that, because the Glitch's car was A LOT of paint changes!  I loved how Waverly's car turned out, except that it was WAY too BIG for her to carry around by herself, and barely fit through the doors.  I was kind of embarrassed to take it to school; it looked like I was trying to compete, but really, these things for me are a creative outlet instead.  I approach them with "can I do it?"  Though, I wish we'd let her be more involved with it, and scaled it down.  A lot.  Oh well, she thought it was cool.
 With her driving Taffyta's car, we thought she needed to look like Taffyta too, so I made her this cute strawberry hat.  It was much easier than it looked, and only took 10 mins to complete it.  No sewing!  I really wanted to buy her some tights and a pink dress and jacket, but it was not in the budget, so she wore what we could throw together to look like Taffyta.  Ok, it was a little much to add a costume, too, but I got so excited about it!

 Here is the final project.  The front wheels are ice cream cartons, with a pie tin inside it.  Scott attached the wheels using metal rods and hardware, so the car actually rolled across the carpet.
 I felt like a genius for figuring out a way to get the polka-dots on the wheels to all be the same.  I found white stickers at the dollar store and used those.  We used them for garage sales in the past, and they worked like magic!
 The kids were all assigned a state to be from.
 The kids all sang for us first, mostly patriotic songs they'd been learning, since this was foremost a study of US historic sites.

 I couldn't ever get Keaton to look directly at me for a picture.


 After the program, they all headed to the Cafeteria to put on their cars, then they paraded through the hallways 3 times for the parents, plus all the other students came out of their classrooms to watch.  It was so cute!


The kids lined up and waiting for their parade to begin.  Between the twins is Tatyana Harris.  She is Waverly's best friend.  They did preschool together at Miss Kasa's, then ended up in the same kindergarten class.  They do playdates every Wednesday at each other's houses.  Her mother showed me her vehicle beforehand.  Said that Tatyana's father had made it to her specifications, including color.  As you look at it, it was a very boyish vehicle to choose.  It even had a skull and crossbones;  but then she added some very girly sparkly butterflies on the tail.  I thought the contrast was hilarious, and so her.

 See the butterflies?
 Wrigley's vehicle was amazing!  When I told Sallie that we were doing a car from Wreck-it Ralph, she decided it would be cute to make Wrigley one too.  She chose Candlehead's car, and, in true Sallie fashion, it was fabulous!  From the pipe insulation candles, to the green batting ice cream wheels, to the pink spray foam frosting on top...WOW! 
 Boston was non-plussed about the whole thing.
 OK, more parade pics.  I just love my cute little twinners in their cars!
 I signed up to help with rotations and got assigned to Keaton's group.  I'd hoped they'd keep them together so I could be with both, but twas not to be.  The first stop we made was to the Lincoln Memorial.  This cute mom dressed up as Lincoln and taught the kids about him.
 They all got to compare themselves against his 6' 4" frame.
 After each stop, they'd put their vehicle back on and fly/race/drive/drag to the next site.  We learned about the White House, the bald eagle, the flag, Mount Rushmore, Lincoln, and the Statue of Liberty.  I was intrigued to learn about each national monument or symbol.  Did you know that Mount Rushmore was originally intended to include full bodies of each president?  But the cost/difficulty of carving them into the granite was too great, and they stopped at just a bust/face shot.
 Keaton holding Lady Liberty's torch.  Did you know that she has seven spikes on her crown, symbolizing the 7 continents?
 The three little racers.




 It's a race to see who's the fastest!  It's the lightest of them all, of course!  Dusty!
 After school let out, we took Wrigley back to our house to play.  Being Friday, I made them a fun lunch of a banana car.  They used the extra toothpicks and added their own wheels after they ate the first ones.  Cheetoes and bananas!  A yummy combination!
 Keaton's creation.


No comments: