Pop Quiz: What is a Rube Goldberg? Multiple choice:
A. Rube Goldberg is our Jewish friend.
B. It's the next best thing to a Rubic Cube.
C. It's a given assignment by an 8th grade science teacher, meant to teach kids about the 7 different machines, and how they work. If set up correctly, it is a "deliberately over-engineered or overdone machine that performs a very simple task in a very complex fashion, usually including a chain reaction."
If you answered C, you are correct! Savannah and her partner, Chloe, spent hours upon hours trying to get their machine to work. The goal was to pop a balloon. They used dominoes, books, a marble run, pulleys, etc, to accomplish this. They came in under the required time allowed, so the grade given wasn't great, but I think they both learned a lot (including how to hate Rube Goldbergs, and I'm fairly certain they'll never want to play with dominoes again in their lifetimes!). I wish I could have seen it work, but both refused to line up the books or dominoes again. Great job, girls!
No comments:
Post a Comment