Since the entire state of Utah was on Spring Break at the same time, and half the week we had snow and freezing temps, we had to get creative with our time spent. On Monday the kids just played with neighbors. On Tuesday we had a Henry family spring cleaning day. I took inspiration from Mymixofsix and paid the kids in tickets for each chore completed. I made a list of chores needing done, and they chose which ones they wanted to complete, by initialing next to them. I told them ahead of time what was "on sale" and for how many tickets, so they could choose how much they were willing to work for. To their credit, they completed enough to buy everything. Even Irelynd was able to stick with it until she was done, which is a HUGE accomplishment for her, with her ADHD. I was so proud of my girls; we cleaned for hours and they stuck right with me, with very little reminding. I will definitely make this a yearly, or maybe a bi-yearly, tradition in our house. It worked beautifully! And it was fun! (Well, the movie night, maybe not the cleaning!) Some of the chores I listed included wiping baseboards, cleaning windows, and wiping down walls and doors; pretty much the stuff I HATE doing, because of all the bending over. Now I have clean baseboards, windows, and blinds!
This is the "store". Target sold all out of their popcorn holders just days before we went to get some, so Scott got creative and bought mini-planters. The tickets we found at Walmart for $3, and the candy was leftover Easter candy.
Even Brighton got involved and was able to earn some tickets. He held on almost until the end of the movie, but crashed before it was over.
Wednesday and Thursday were more play days. Friday we went to Goblin Valley in central Utah. It was a 2 1/2 hour drive each direction, but the kids watched a movie both directions and it went quickly.
This is called the Three Sisters and greets visitors on the way in.
We started with a picnic lunch in the parking lot. Even here in the middle of the desert was crammed full of people. Luckily, the park is large and it didn't feel crowded. It was such a nice change from the cold, snowy weather we left behind!
We discovered letterboxing last summer and have fallen in love with it. We looked up a few clues for the area and found the hidden boxes. The first one was stashed in this cave, below, where the people are climbing in. We felt like Indiana Jones.
I had to laugh as I was taking this picture of Savannah. We finally, after over a year, changed the batteries in her camera before we left, and she kept stopping her siblings to pose for a picture for her. Like mother, like daughter!
After a few hours of climbing over, under, and through the formations, Brighton could go no farther, and lay down in the dirt to rest.
After leaving Goblin Valley, we went to Little Wild Horse Canyon to hike the slots. We found our second letterbox clue here as well. As we had to get back to pick up our twins from Scott's parents, we only spent a short time here. I would have liked to hike the entire 8-mile round trip, but it'll have to wait for our return trip next spring.
4 comments:
This sounds a lot like the vacation we just took! :) How fun!!
I love goblin valley, even if I did manage to sprian my ankle pretty badly the first day we were there. It is pretty windy though for camping. We went on Memorial Day weekend probably 20 years ago before we left BYU.
Good for you to get out of the snow. And I love the spring cleaning. Girls are such better cleaners. I wonder why that is?
What a wonderful picture of you here with 3 of your jewels.
Our kids used to say we were torturing them to go hiking and camping, but they eventually admitted they loved being outdoors with the family.
No doubt yours will continue to enjoy hiking and exploring all their lives as you have shown them the joy of doing something 'out of the box'. You live so close to so many scenic parks. Have you passed on your love of camping??
What a fun spring break! That's crazy that it started out with snow. The movie idea is super cute! What a great way to get kids to do their chores. I checked out the mymixofsix blog and love it. She has some great ideas. Thanks for passing it along. Your trip to Goblin Valley looks like lots of fun. How nice to have a sunny place only a couple of hours away. You got some really great pictures! How did you make the background so blurry on some of them? Abby has that same green STAR shirt as Irelynd. Cute! Savannah's so cute with her photo taking stops. I am going to have to check out the letterboxing thing. That would be a fun thing to entertain the kiddos this summer. Oh, I'm totally going to do the ABC's of summer this year. I'll probably copy a lot of your ideas. You don't mind, right?
Post a Comment