At the beginning of summer, my mom invited us to go to Salt Lake on the Frontrunner with her. Well, a teenager has a busy life, and it took until the week before school started before we found time to go. We met at the station in Provo to board the 10:40 train. Someone (I won't use any names to protect the guilty) couldn't find her shoes, and we were barrelling down the freeway trying to make it in time. Somehow, by the grace of God, we made it. We had to sprint across the tracks and run for it, but I was able to buy tickets, and we got to the platform before the train left. As we got up to the train, the door opened, and Waverly stepped inside. Just then the door closed behind her, before the rest of us was able to board, sealing her away from us. Savannah had a panic attack, and started yelling "no! No No!" The attendant there opened the door for us, and allowed a very scared Waverly to exit. It was only a moment, but it scared the two of them. We laughed about it after the fright wore off.
We took a trip on the Frontrunner in December to Temple Square, not long after the train started running. It was CRAZY! I was a little nervous going again with all 6 kids, with just my mom to help me, but it was not busy at all, and was not too hard. Savannah is such a good surrogate mother; I could not do it without her help. I am grateful to have such a good kid as my first.
When we went in December, it was dark outside, so it was fun to actually see where we were going this time around. Though, the kids were not as mesmerized by the experience as they were before. They were anxious to get there. Boston was so good on the trip. He just chills and is so easy-going.
When we got off in Salt Lake, we took Trax over to the City Creek Center, since we hadn't seen it yet. We stopped at JB's to eat lunch first, courtesy of my mom. Keaton ordered a cheeseburger and a plate of spaghetti and meatballs. He is a little guy, but can really eat a lot sometimes!
City Creek is so pretty! I wanted to go inside of Tiffany's, just to say I have, but decided against it, with my 6 kids. That would be too scary! Savannah and I did some shopping at H&M and Forever 21, getting some school clothes for her. We walked around a bit, and the kids loved the big fountain in the center.
I'm not sure what's got Irelynd upset here, but I love her expression. I imagine Brighton has probably splashed her.
Waverly made friends with this cute little girl while we were here. She makes friends everywhere we go; I love how open she is to other kids, and how she is so friendly. Wouldn't it be great if adults all did the same thing, and just opened up to each other, calling each other "friend"?
After the mall, we walked through Temple Square to get to the Beehive House. We had intended on seeing it earlier in the summer when we came up to see Tracy Aviary and the Capitol, but parking is a nightmare. I was surprised by how much the kids wanted to see Brigham Young's house. While walking through Temple Square, we passed by this old fashioned fountain. It was the kind that you pump with your foot to make it go. The kids were amazed by it. Everyone had to have a drink from it.
I thought this was a cool shot of the Assembly Hall reflected in the building.
I can't believe I didn't get any shots of the Beehive House, seeing as how everyone was so looking forward to it. Probably because of the million and one stairs to carry Boston up, and rooms to keep pulling Brighton out of. We enjoyed the tour; it was conducted by a sister missionary from New Zealand. I think I listened more to her accent than to what she was actually saying. The other sisters there oohed and ahhed over Boston. One of them thought he looked like Jack-Jack from The Incredibles. I guess he does.
Next we walked back through City Creek looking for ice cream. We went through the food court (didn't find any ice cream, but found a fun play place!) We stopped to let everyone have some free time, and to let Boston out of the stroller and crawl around. It was themed after dinosaurs. It's a just-hatched Bostonasaurus!
Yikes! This one will be scary! It's a Tyrannasaurus Brighton!
Boston was ecstatic to be let out of captivity, and crawled around squealing for joy.
Savannah is just a very tall 6-year-old.
Yahoo! We finally found ice cream! We had to walk to Harmon's Grocery store, which was reached by going under the street, in a tunnel, which by all appearances, the city tried its hardest to keep strictly hidden. But we found it, and were richly rewarded with the best gelato I have ever had in my life! I had orange something-or-other, and cinnamon roll. They served them in these cute little plastic cupcake liner-looking cups with little spatulas. So cute! I had to keep them, of course. Since it was approaching dinnertime, Savannah and I grabbed some sandwich stuff from downstairs in the grocery store, and we headed back to the train station.
This was supposed to be reminiscent of Marilyn Monroe's train shot, but she turned her head right at the wrong time, and the light turned green so we had to run after this. Stupid us, we were having so much fun in Salt Lake that we forgot we came on a train, and trains run on schedules. We realized when we missed the trax back to the Frontrunner station, that we'd also miss the 7:00 Frontrunner back to Provo, and would have to wait another hour, or try to walk to the next station. We chose option 2, and realized we should have just waited the hour at the first station, because there was no way I was going to be able to drag 6 tired kids, and a tired grandma 6 very LARGE city blocks in a matter of 15 minutes. Also adding in a pit stop for a child that has a very tiny bladder, and it was another miss. Oh well, Scott just earned another quiet hour at home before we arrived back, lucky him!
We finally made it to the station and boarded the train home. We had a great time, and I am so grateful to have my mom close enough to be able to do things like this with her. I know she won't be around forever, as she is near 80, and I hope my kids will remember having fun times with her like this. We love you Grandma!
1 comment:
Your mom is almost 80? She looks great and is doing and amazing job of running around with the grandkids! Glad you're taking advantage of that while you can. I love this post. You are one brave mama. That is a long day with six little kids (with our without your mom's help!) I love how sweet and helpful Savannah is. That is worth gold on outings like this. I love the Marilyn Monroe pic (even if her head is turned) and the one of you and your kiddos by the water fountain. Such a cute crew! I also feel very bad for that very pregnant lady in the train pictures. She looks very ready to pop! Oh, and I also love your blog make over too:)
Post a Comment