Sunday, January 22, 2012

Christmas day 2011

 Ok, so we were mean and only allowed our kids to open their stockings Christmas morning before we got ready and went to church.  Savannah, surprisingly, preferred that, and we didn't ask anyone else.  Here are our stockings prior to opening (I miss having a fireplace to hang them from!)
 Our tree. Savannah talked about missing the excitement of Christmas morning, waking up and looking over the balcony at the tree below in the Great Room.  Somehow it lost some magic this year, though I think that had more to do with her graduating up to be Santa's helper this year.
 These were the first 3 up.  We made it to 8:00; amazing!
 Santa put chocolate coal in each stocking.  Keaton was a little offended at getting coal in his stocking until it was pointed out that he could eat it.  That slightly mollified him.
 She loves her owl hat!
 Despite the expression, he did love his Cars flashlight.

 We continued with the special cereal tradition this year.  The kids love being able to choose their own cereal.
 I promised only a 10 minute photo-taking session after church, so thankfully, everyone cooperated and we got a pretty decent shot.
 Both girls were very excited about getting Harry Potter 7 parts 1 and 2.  Me too actually:)

 Ok, so the funniest part of the morning was when Brighton unwrapped his basketball.  It was an old one Scott found unclaimed at work.  Nobody was paying any attention when he unwrapped it, and we hear this high-pitched shriek; it was Brighton, over-joyed at having his own basketball.  He was even shedding tears over it.  Didn't know he wanted one so badly.

The oldest 3 kids all shopped for each other this year again.  It was cute to see the thanks they gave each other for each gift, and the excitement each had to see the recipient open their carefully-chosen gift.  I will have to remember to do this on Christmas Eve instead, so they don't get lost in the shuffle of Christmas morning.
We had a great Christmas; we missed seeing Grandma and Grandpa Henry, but are excited to see them soon!  We also missed our old home, but we are all very excited to be in our new house and see all our old stuff again!  We're grateful to be together as a family for Christmas, and I cherish these years with my small children, knowing they are coming to a close, as our youngest get older.  It tugs on my heartstrings every year to realize how few years are left with my precious children before they are grown and gone.  These are memories I'll cherish when I'm old and gray.

1 comment:

Chelsi said...

Looks like fun! I love looking at your blog and seeing how you guys are doing!