Sunday, April 3, 2011

H is for hats and hyacinth

Continuing on in working through the letters of Brighton's name, we studied the letter H this week.  We had cousins visiting, so we included them too.  We talked about hats and what each is used for.
Then we made some of our own hats.  Flower crowns for the girls... 
...and bowler hats for the boys.  Don't you just love the deer-in-the-headlights look on Brighton's face??!

The next day we made handprint hyacinth pictures. 


Another activity we did, which I didn't get photos of, was to "heart attack" the girls' rooms.  We made their beds and tidied their rooms and put cut out hearts all over their walls.  It was fun for them to find them at bedtime.  Don't we all need a small surprise from time to time?
The last thing we did was a Hawaiian dinner.  We were supposed to learn to hula as well, but it didn't happen.  I've never tried Hawaiian recipes before, but I found one I LOVE!  And it's SO easy.  If you like kahlua pork, you'll love it.  I'll share it with you so you can fall in love with it too.

Oven roasted kahlua pork
3 pound pork roast
2 c water
1 tsp liquid smoke
1/4 c kosher salt

Combine water and liquid smoke.  Place roast in crock pot (or roasting pan if you want to cook it in the oven) and pour water/smoke over it.  Sprinkle with salt and cover.  Cook for 6 hours on low (3 hours at 400 degrees in the oven).  Shred with a fork and serve over rice.  So good!!

4 comments:

Sal-my-gal said...

Your flowers really did turn out great.

Richard and JoAnne Henry said...

I just had a great thought! When you guys move from the house you can just leave all your cute decorating projects there for me to use when we get home!!!!The flowers are really great. Look authentic and springy.

Teresa said...

Thanks, I needed a good crock pot recipe this week!

Janessa said...

Wow, you are ambitious to include cousins too. Everything looks like so much fun. I love your Hawaiian dinner even. I'm not a big pork fan but I might have to give this one a try. It sounds very easy and comes highly recommended:)