When we first moved into our house, Scott and I were so excited at the prospect of having a huge, tall Christmas tree. The first year we got one that we estimated was probably close to 18 feet tall. With the topper on, it nearly brushed the ceiling. Gradually, every year it got shorter. This year we are down to a 7 footer--short enough to put in the front room, which is what we did so it doesn't look so dwarfed by the tall ceilings in the Great room. I miss our tall trees, but I tell ya what, it was nice to wrap up the lighting/decorating in a few hours.
In our house, our tradition is to collect an ornament every new place we visit. I started this when I was still in high school, and we continued it as a couple after I got married, picking up ornaments from our honeymoon, and other pre-kids trips. I'm not sure how many we have now, maybe 25? It's fun to pull them out every year and see a visual reminder of the places we've been, and the conversations it sparks about them. Savannah seems to love it most. Of all my children, she's shaping up to be my most sentimental. She loves to hang the ones commemorating her birth, and the star she got from Make-a-Wish foundation the year they sent us to DisneyWorld. One day I will have a tree worthy of the Festival of Trees, but while my kids are still at home, I love this tradition.
The shortness of the tree also allowed me to turn over the decorating to my kids this year, after I wrapped the lights on, which I loved doing, so I could take photos.
No, Brighton is not singing the Halelujah chorus. After the Dinky photos, he was camera-shy. This is the only photo I managed to get of his face. See the "oh no" expression? He fled behind the chair after he caught me.
1 comment:
What great pictures! They look very magical. I love your ornament tradition. I wish I would have thought of that one 15 years ago. Is it too late to start? I really want a great big tree but Ricky so is not on board with it. Maybe one of these years. Thanks for helping me see the positive side to a regular 7 footer.
Post a Comment