Sunday, July 11, 2010

Ni hao ma, we're off to China!

We started our second unit this week.  We're doing an Around the World unit, covering the next several weeks.  The kids wanted to start in China; they both studied it this year at school and were captivated with its history and culture.  We started with a world map and I showed them where China is on it.  We added a red star to the map to help them remember which one it was, and posted it on the wall in our dining room.  I plan on doing this for the other 5 countries we have planned on studying.  I checked out several books per country at the library.  There is a series called Countries of the World by Michael Dahl that spotlights all the different aspects of that country.  It's a great book for an overview.  They had them for 4 out of the 5 countries, but China wasn't one of them.  We learned about their respect for their elders, what life is like for Chinese children; the foods they eat, animals found there, and their national treasures, such as The Great Wall.  My kids were able to educate me on some facts, and we found out some interesting history about China.  For instance, did you know that in the days of the Emporers the color yellow was reserved for royalty only? 

We also learned a few key words in Chinese.  Now my kids, when they toot, say (phonetic spelling), g-way gwoh.  Brighton asked me that afternoon, while grocery shopping, how to say "Excuse me in Chinese."  That seems to be the only one that stuck in their memory.

The highlight of our week was the cuisine.  We had 3 days of Chinese food, and had a Chinese party on Day 2, with stuff I had for a Chinese New Year party a few years ago.  We even got to taste peppermint tea for the first time.  My girls thought it was disgusting, even with the addition of honey.  Brighton tried his, pronounced it "yummy", and finished everyone else's off.  We dined on white rice, orange chicken, and kung pao chicken (now I know why they call it Kung POW chicken--man was it hot!)
When in China, do as the Chinese do, so we ate with chopsticks.
What a cute little rice picker!
During dinner we learned how to count to 10 in Chinese, hopefully the pronunciation was anywhere close! 

On the last night, we had Chinese fried rice and lettuce wraps.  We tried fortune cookies, but they didn't work.  I should have gone with my gut and used the Martha Stewart recipe I used for Irelynd's Fablehaven party. 

We also made Chinese fans, handprint dragons, and we intended to make Chinese lanterns, but ran out of week.  Next week we are off to India.  We hope to take a field trip to the Sri Lanka Temple nearby to view Indian architecture.  I'm excited for a chance to try Indian cuisine.  I've never made any before.  Scott is nervous I'll overdo the curry.  Wimp! 

2 comments:

Sal-my-gal said...

You really are the best mom ever! No wonder my kids want to move in.

Janessa said...

If my kids knew all the fun you were having over there, they would want to move in too. Stop making the rest of us regular moms look so bad:) What a wonderful week! I love all the decorations you put of even. Your kids are too cute with those hats on!