Sunday, March 21, 2010

St. Patrick's Green party

I invited all the ladies in my book club plus their spouses over for a St. Patrick's day party. It was fun to eat dinner and laugh with everyone. We had a great time, and enjoyed some great food. And, I had another excuse to make (and eat!) more cupcakes. I'm starting to look like one, I'm afraid. More zumba, less cupcake. I had fun coming up with green decor; the green thingies in the glass jar are furry little styrofoam baubles I got from the dollar store. But I was reminded of Ireland when I saw them; they made a great addition. Here's the big table decor:

I was determined to get the dumb limes on the glasses. But, the dumb things kept tipping over. Solution: put ice in the cups first.
Secondary, banquet table: I bought the beer mugs for something else, but they made such nice vases, since this holiday is really all about drinking, right?

Drink table. Scott did this one himself. It was really yummy! See my little "Irish kissing ball" there? Oh, I shoulda hung it up! Next year.

And, my favorite, my cupcake display. I had to have variety, of course, cuz it's cuter, and if it's not cute, why eat it? I made green velvet cupcakes with chocolate cream cheese frosting, and leftover cookie dough frosting (ssshhh! It was still good!). Then, my favorites, were the mint chocolate ganache-filled thin mint chocolate sour cream cupcakes with white chocolate mint frosting. (Say that 3 times fast!) Yum! Can I just say I LOVE ganache? I could eat it all day long. I practically did eat it all day long. Good thing Zumba is on Monday again!

A close up of the little darlings. I love my new cake tips! How come no one told me before how fun it was to squirt frosting out of these little metal miracles? And, is it weird that my cupcake stands make me really happy? Because they do. Isn't this one adorable? I sense a collection starting...
In honor of the drunken holiday spirit, I made green Jello shots. Basically just jello made with hot water, plus a cold beverage of your choice, usually something with alcohol it in. I chose to use Sobe's Green Tea drink, plus I added a tad bit of cream to add a little "je ne sais quois" quality to them. That's where the lighter frothy layer comes from. They were good little suckers. Jello is always better in small quantities, dontcha think?

I did not make these, but I thought they were cute. All we need is some ham. {hee hee!}
Everything everyone made that night was awesome!
Food table
And dished out. Dontcha just love the all green food, and then the shot of color, with the rainbow jello? Like the gold at the end of the rainbow. So pretty! I made Thai cilantro chicken with fettucine. I was amazed at how everyone brought something different and green. So obedient! haha
We had a full house; every couple came but one.

After dinner we played a game with a silly story I made up, then Loaded questions. I think we learned a lot about one another with our answers! It was a fun night! Next up, Cinco de Mayo! Get out your sombreros, muchachas!

7 comments:

Sal-my-gal said...

Beautiful table, as usual. Looks like a lot of fun.

WayneAndTeresa said...

You are awesome to throw such a fun party for us. We have a fun group of ladies, and it was interesting having the husbands along for this get-together.

M_Hop said...

I need you in my neighborhood. Everyone would be begging for an invite to come over for a party, any kind of party. I love entertaining, I just need someone like you to co-host the parties, with your enthusiasm and energy to party as often as I would like to.

Open your own business, like wedding planner, or party thrower.

You could be famous for food presentation, variety, and fun ideas.

You set the bar for quality. Way to go, girl!

Janessa said...

You are such a fantastic entertainer. I LOVE all the cupcakes. What a cute little touch and a fun trademark you're making for yourself. I hope that I get to taste a Jill Henry cupcake someday. They all sound amazing. All the decor and green food looks fabulous. I wish we had fun friends close by like you guys:)

Janessa said...

P.S. I meant to tell you that I love your new header and Easter backgroud. How cute and springy!

Sal-my-gal said...

Jill, everytime I see this title, "ADULT St. Patrick's Day Party" I keep expecting xxx to appear after it.

Jill said...

Yeah, that probably isn't the best title, is it?)