Thursday, March 26, 2009

Differences


I find it completely intriguing to note the differences between Keaton and Waverly. I never noticed differences in my first three kids quite so accutely as I have with the twins. Obviously, this is because they are side-by-side to compare. For instance, their sleeping habits and preferences are so different. Keaton falls asleep sucking his thumb. (I've never had a thumb-sucker before. I know I'll hate it later, but I find it SO dang cute!) But he can't just suck his thumb and be content. No, he MUST have something cloth-like to hold on to in order to suck his thumb. He will bend in half while sitting, in order to grab my jammy pants, or put his face right to my chest, while grabbing my shirt. It's so endearing and I hate the thought that someday he will no longer do this. Ok, it might just irritate his future wife just a bit, but I love it. So we have to put him to bed with what we call a "cuddle blanket" now in order to settle him down for sleep.
Waverly, on the other hand, is a no-frills gal. She will suck the back side of her fingers (that's how I know she's tired), and when I put her down she'll turn her head til she finds a comfortable spot, and doze off. In a last-ditch effort to have just one of my girls like dolls at all, I have given her a doll to sleep with. It's ugly, but it's soft, and she will play with that sometimes before sleeping. Is there anything that squeezes your heart more than a sleeping baby? Maybe two sleeping babies.

2 comments:

Sal-my-gal said...

Aren't twin pics so fun! Welcome to my world of blanket weilding thumb suckers.

Janessa said...

I agree, sleeping pictures are so sweet. Especially when it's your own kids and that means some quite alone time. Parker has been our only thumb sucker and I think it is the cutest thing ever too. I don't know how many hundreds of thumb sucking pictures we have of him now. I'm sure we'll pay for it later in orthodontist bills but for now it's so precious.