Monday, August 29, 2011

Bake Day

 In copying my friend Janessa, because that's what I do best, we had a bake day at our house one summer afternoon.  Savannah invited a neighbor friend over.  I let the girls each choose one item from a cookbook to make.  Irelynd chose cookies; Savannah chose pumpkin pie.  Waverly and I made something else.

 Tell the girls to pose for me and this is what I get...
 You'd be hard pressed to find a cuter kitchen assistent!


 Work it hard, girl!
This little chef was dismayed to find the sticks breaking off the cookies.  I forgot to get a photo of Irelynd's cookies or Savannah's pie.  The crust was like cement, though.  Don't tell!  The girls had fun, especially Irelynd, and requested that we do this often again in the future.  I enjoyed the time with my girls, too.

3 comments:

Janessa said...

I'm so glad you had a fun and entertaining afternoon with this one. I love the chef hats too! That's awesome that the crust was like cement. Ha, ha! Good thing she's practicing now. She'll be a pro by the time she's a mama:) That little Waverly is just too stinkin cute!

m_hop said...

Awesome, teaching your girls to enjoy the pleasures of cooking. Not only for themselves, but for their future families.

I like this statement from some girl's cooking blog: "But our waking life, and our growing years, were for the most part spent in the kitchen, and until we married, or ran away, it was the common room we shared."

Cooking, and cleaning, can be fun, experimental, and rewarding, such as Waverly has shown here with her cookie.

Even tho Savannah's crust was not light and flaky, she will have better success next time (or the time after that....) You watch, she will be the champion crust maker.

They obviously have learned alot from you already, with your love of cupcakes and all fun things to do with food. Good going, sister!

m_hop said...

You know, thinking more last night about this fun activity with your girls, you are so smart encouraging their interest in cooking, so they know that cooking is an art, something to be proud of that they can do. What's the one thing that all families look forward to at Thanksgiving? Christmas? 4th of July? Birthdays? Any other holiday with family? It's the food, the enjoyment of it. When there is a good cook, everyone can't wait for the first morsel of the best 'whatever' to reach their mouth. Think about how your mom always made the best rolls and bread. Or Michelle always brought the tastiest dessert. Can't you just now smell the cooking turkey by remembering the occasion?

Sharing your love of cooking will set your girls apart in the kitchen. And there's nothing wrong with that. Whether they love cooking, or just washing dishes.

How many mothers, working or not, do you know that just hate to cook? I know too many. I LOVE to cook, even tho I work more hours than most. It's healthier, it's worthwhile, and it's very satisfying to be known as a good cook.

High 10 to you, Jill. Keep it up!
(so sorry..I waxed on...old age...blahblahblah)